World News

Senior Iranian commander killed in strike on Iran’s consulate in Syria – Iran state media

[ad_1]

A senior commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has been killed in an airstrike on the country’s consulate in Syria, according to Iranian state TV.

Mohammad Reza Zahedi was reportedly killed in the explosion, which destroyed the Iranian consulate building in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

Emergency services work at a destroyed building hit by an air strike in Damascus, Syria, Monday, April 1, 2024. An Israeli airstrike has destroyed the consular section of Iran's embassy in Damascus, killing or wounding everyone inside, Syrian state media said Monday. (AP Photo/Omar Sanadiki)
Image:
Emergency services work at a destroyed building hit by an air strike in Damascus, Syria. Pic: AP

Tehran’s ambassador to Damascus, Hossein Akbari, claimed between five and seven people had been killed in the strike.

Syrian foreign minister Faisal Mekdad also told media after meeting Iran’s ambassador that “several” people were killed, without offering further information.

Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad walks with Iran's ambassador in Damascus Hossein Akbari, near a damaged site after what the Iranian media said was an Israeli strike on a building close to the Iranian embassy in Damascus, Syria April 1, 2024. REUTERS/Firas Makdesi
Image:
Syrian foreign minister Faisal Mekdad walks with Iran’s ambassador in Damascus Hossein Akbari following the strike. Pic: Reuters

Follow live updates on our Middle East blog

A Lebanese security source who spoke to Reuters and Iran’s Tasnim news agency claimed the explosion was an Israeli airstrike.

Israel declined to comment on the incident.

Read more from Sky News:
Before-and-after photos show scale of Shifa hospital destruction
Villagers duped into selling kidneys and told organ would regrow

The death of Mr Zahedi and the destruction of the Iranian embassy is likely to further inflame tensions in the Middle East.

Tehran’s ambassador to Damascus promised the Iranian response to the strike would be “harsh”.

Iran’s foreign minister, Hossein Amirabdollahian, also called the strike “a breach of all international conventions”.

[ad_2]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *