Canada News

Recharging batteries cause small, smoky house fire in West Kelowna – Okanagan | Globalnews.ca

Batteries that were being recharged are to blame for a smoky but quite small fire inside a West Kelowna home on Monday morning.

According to the West Kelowna Fire Rescue, batteries for a drone were being recharged, but a malfunction occurred, resulting in a fire that produced little flames but considerable smoke.

“We see a lot of issues with batteries overcharging. Generally, they tend to be in a garage,” said Sean Minchin, West Kelowna Fire assistant captain.


Click to play video: 'Penticton family loses everything to house fire'


Penticton family loses everything to house fire


“This was a perfect example of (recharging batteries) separate to your home or your living area because it’s quite dangerous. We have a lot of electronics and batteries in our lives nowadays and they fail quite often.

Story continues below advertisement

“If we can limit that, I don’t think that’s a bad idea.”


Get the latest National news.

Sent to your email, every day.

No injuries were reported, and the owner was home at the time.

The fire department said the home sustained smoke damage, and crews will do their best to ventilate the residence along Viewpoint Drive.

In 2022, the Vancouver Fire Department said half of the city’s 10 fire deaths that year resulted from rechargeable batteries.

On its website about rechargeable battery safety, the City of Vancouver says “As with any product, a small number of the batteries can be defective, overheat, catch fire, or explode.”


Click to play video: 'Open House: Tips to make your home fire safe'


Open House: Tips to make your home fire safe


&copy 2024 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *